Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Review: My First Body Shop Purchases!!!!

I cashed in on the Buy 2 Get 2 sale + Free Shipping thingy on their website and the products arrived within a week!! I'm super excited to try them, they're the first items I've gotten from The Body Shop.
The packaging! I love packaging worms and I liked that they took so much care in making sure my products won't be damaged. Props to you TBS!

I got 4 things: Blue Corn 3-in-1 Deep Cleansing Mask, Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner, Tea Tree Blemish Fade Night Lotion, and the Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash.


I tried all of them tonight as a test run. In the shower, I considered that trying a whole new skin regimen isn't smart–if my skin improves, I can't isolate which one product caused the change and I'd have to repurchase every item. To establish cause and effect, I'd have to test each product separately for a while and measure any changes, and then I'd have to test pairings of products to determine which products are the ones actually causing improvement. And then I thought fuck too much stats for one day and I went and used all of them.
First Impressions:
  1. Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash: 
    1. It smelled ... like tea tree oil, and felt so much thicker than a normal cleanser, and didn't bubble up into a lather. 
    2. It felt minty, but not unbearably minty that my eyes hurt. 
    3. After I got out of the shower my skin felt 10x cleaner than usual, and I have no idea how! It just felt baby soft and like all the dirt there had gotten drawn out.
  2. Then I used the Blue Corn Mask, which, WARNING, smells reaaally strong. I'm fine with strong chemical scents (as in it doesn't bother me), so I didn't mind. 
    1. For the first 5 minutes, the mask burned :/ like pretty intensely. I was wondering if I should take it off after 5 minutes instead of 10-15 like suggested, but right after, it calmed down and didn't hurt anymore. Weird. 
    2. It's also supposed to be exfoliating, because when you take it off, you're supposed to go in circles to utilize the little sand bits. I'm not a big fan of it though because it felt like the St. Ives apricot scrub, and those are too rough for your skin.
  3. Tea Tree Toner:
    1. Felt ehhh about this. I'm not sure about the mattifying effects since it's nighttime, so I'll try it out in the morning. 
    2. Smelled like tea tree oil as well, although not as strongly.
    3. Felt minty, but unlike tea tree oil, the mintiness didn't hurt my eyes
    4. Removed the rest of the dirt on my neck/lower face area! The cotton pad showed up a little beige after I used this.
  4. Tea Tree Lotion:
    1. I expected this to be so much bigger. Hell, I expected all this to be bigger. It was like facial products for elfs.
    2. It's been feeling minty for a while nowww
    3. Since it's so small, I had to just dab onto my dark spots. Updates will come after a week or two!
Overall experience included a lot of mintiness, disappointment in how small they are (they're pretty costly for their size), and super soft skin.

Edit: bonus of me in the mask because yknow